A. Hänggli, S.A. Levy, D. Armenteras Pascual, B. Bovolo, J. Brandao, X. Rueda , R.D. Garrett. "A systematic comparison of deforestation drivers and policy effectiveness across the Amazon biome." Environmental Research Letters.
Click here for a PDF version of my CV (Updated 05/19/2023)
- PhD in Development Economics, ETH Zürich, 2022
- Advisor: Prof. Rachael Garrett
- PhD student in Earth & Environment, Boston University (transferred to ETH Zürich)
- MSc in Environmental Change & Management, University of Oxford, 2016
- BA in Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge, 2014
- 2022-current: New York University - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Advisor: Prof. Kimberly Carlson
- 2017: Global Canopy - Research Intern (Supply Chains)
- 2016-2017: Proforest - Environmental Consultant
- 2016: University of Oxford - Research Assistant, Oxford Ecosystems Lab
- 2013-2017: Forestry Commission - Project Manager, Forest health survey
- 2009-2014: Coombe Forestry Ltd. - Sustainable Forester
Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon could be halved by scaling up the implementation of zero-deforestation cattle commitments
S.A. Levy, F. Cammelli, J. Munger, H. K. Gibbs, R.D. Garrett (2023). "Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon could be halved by scaling up the implementation of zero-deforestation cattle commitments." Global Environmental Change. 80.
Grabs, J., F. Cammelli, S.A. Levy & R. D. Garrett (2022). "Designing effective and equitable zero-deforestation supply chain policies." Global Environmental Change. 70.
Should Payments for Ecosystem Services be used to implement zero-deforestation supply chain policies? The case of soy in the Brazilian Cerrado
Garrett, R. D., J. Grabs, F. Cammelli, F. Gollnow, S.A. Levy (2022). "Should Payments for Ecosystem Services be used to implement zero-deforestation supply chain policies? The case of soy in the Brazilian Cerrado." World Development. 152.
Effectiveness-equity tradeoffs in enforcing exclusionary supply chain policies: Lessons from the Amazonian cattle sector
Cammelli, F., S. A. Levy, J. Grabs, J. Valentim & R.D. Garrett (2022). "Effectiveness-equity tradeoffs in enforcing exclusionary supply chain policies: Lessons from the Amazonian cattle sector." Journal of Cleaner Production. 332.
Garrett, R. D., S. A. Levy, (2021). "Forests and sustainable devleopment in the Brazilian Amazon: History, trends and future prospects." Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 46:1.
Have food supply chain policies improved forest conservation and rural livelihoods? A systematic review
Garrett, R. D.,S. A. Levy, F. Gollnow & X. Rueda (2021). "Have food supply chain policies improved forest conservation and rural livelihoods? A systematic review." Environmental Research Letters. 16.
Garrett, R.D., S. Levy et al (2019). "Criteria for Effective Zero-Deforestation Commitments." Global Environmental Change. 54.
Measuring impacts of supply chain initiatives for conservation: focus on forest-risk food commodities
Garrett, R. D., X. Rueda, S. A. Levy, J.F. Bermudez Blanco, S. Shah (2018). "Measuring impacts of supply chain initiatives for conservation: focus on forest-risk food commodities." Meridian Insitute. Washington, D.C.
- 2023 SFIAR Award, Swiss Forum for International Agricultural Research, Switzerland (CHF 10,000)
- 2022 Postdoctoral Travel Grant, New York University, USA (USD 700)
- 2021 International Geneva Award, Swiss Network for International Studies, Switzerland (CHF 5,000)
- 2020 Global Young Scientists Summit delegate, National Research Foundation, Singapore
- 2016 Environmental Change Institute Research Award, University of Oxford, UK
- 2016 Oriel College Travel Award, University of Oxford, UK
- 2014 Ernest and Carmen Frankl Memorial Award, University of Cambridge , UK
Conference session at American Association of Geographers Conference, Denver, CO, USA
Conference proceedings talk at American Association of Geographers Conference, Denver, CO, USA
The livelihood and environmental impacts of incomplete supply chain policy implementation in the Brazilian cattle sector
Conference proceedings talk at FLARE Conference, Rome, Italy
Talk at Stockholm Environment Institute - Trase Research Dialogue no.6, Stockholm, Sweden
A melhoria da sustentabilidade das cadeias de valor globais (Improving the Sustainability of Global Value Chains)
Talk at 59th Congresso da Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administração e Sociologia Rural (SOBER) & 6th Econtro Brasileiro de Pesquisadores em Cooperativismo (EBPC), São Paulo, Brazil
Talk at Swiss Knowledge Exchange on Research on Agriculture, Conservation & Development Issues in Forest-Risk Supply Chains, Zürich, Switzerland
Talk at Fourth Global Land Programme Telecoupling Webinar on Governing Telecoupling, Zürich, Switzerland
Livelihood outcomes in smallholder schemes in Indonesian palm oil: An examination of recent policy reforms” & “Quantifying the impact of indirect suppliers on the effectiveness of cattle zero deforestation commitments in Brazil
Conference proceedings talk at Earth System Governance Conference, Bratislava, Slovakia
The role of market share on the effectiveness of zero deforestation commitments in the Brazilian Amazon
Workshop at 6th Annual Duck Family Graduate Workshop on Environmental Politics and Governance, University of Washington, WA, USA
Conference proceedings talk at International Conference on Learning Representations, Zürich, Switzerland
Uma abordagem sistemática pantropical para estudar compromissos de desmatamento zero (A systematic approach to study zero-deforestation commitments across the tropics)
Talk at Instituto do Homem e Meio Ambiente da Amazônia (Imazon), Belem, Brazil
Conference proceeding talk at Global Land Programme 4th Open Science Meeting, Bern, Switzerland
Talk at Land Use & Livelihoods Initiative Student Conference, Boston University, Boston, USA
Livelihood outcomes in smallholder schemes in Indonesian palm oil: An examination of recent policy reforms
Conference proceeding talk at Sustainability & Development Conference, Anne Arbor, MI, USA
- 2023 Sentient Media The Month in a Minute: April 2023
- 2023 Mongabay A Twitter bot tracks meat production in the Brazilian Amazon
- 2023 Anthropocene Magazine Do zero-deforestation commitments by the world’s largest slaughterhouses work? Actually, yes.
- 2023 Bloomberg Ending Deforestation Likely to Cost at Least $130 Billion a Year - syndicated to Yahoo News
- 2023 Cambridge University News Companies’ zero-deforestation commitments have potential to halve cattle-driven deforestation in Brazilian Amazon - syndicated to phys.org & Science Daily
- 2022 Mongabay Pay or punish? Study looks at how to engage with farmers deforesting the Cerrdao
- 2021 Swissinfo Why is the Amazon still at risk despite ‘zero deforestation’ commitments?
- Quantiative research methods
- Panel regressions
- Network analysis
- Qualitative & field methods
- Household survey execution
- Semi-structured interviews
- Statistical computing, Programming & Geospatial analysis
- R studio (advanced)
- Python (intermediate)
- ArcGIS (advanced)
- QGIS (advanced)
- Google Earth Engine (intermediate)
- Open Data Kit (advanced)
- English (native)
- Portuguese (advanced)